Lead Platform Engineer
We are looking for an experienced Platform Lead (DevOps) to join Hummingbird Technologies to help scale our multi-terabyte image processing pipeline for global agricultural evolution.
You will join a talented team of software engineers, big data engineers, computer vision experts and machine learning researchers, and are expected to get up to speed rapidly in this fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment. We are not solving trivial problems, but researching and developing to shape the future of crop and farm management through the creation of predictive analysis products, which will be used across the globe to feed the world and minimise the long-term environmental impact of modern, large-scale agriculture.
Hummingbird was founded in 2016 and is the only remote sensing business in UK agriculture to use artificial intelligence which gathers information from drone, plane and satellite technology, combined with weather and soil data and expert plant pathology, to enable precision agriculture. We use most advanced machine learning and computer vision techniques, delivering actionable insights on crop health directly to the field. We are Best British Tech Startup 2019 and driving the next generation of precision agriculture to feed the world in sustainable way!
Existing backers of the business include The European Space Agency, Sir James Dyson, Horizon Ventures, Downing Ventures and Velcourt, the UK’s largest commercial farming operation. It also has tech partners which include Google UK and Cranfield University.
- Configure and improve internal systems across our ML analysis imaging pipeline, SaaS platform and continuous delivery
- Monitor the performance of containers, servers, software and hardware
- Improve infrastructure architecture and ensure system integration caters for data processing requirements now and in the future (current peak: 1TB of images per day scaling to 100s of TBs per day)
- Ensure the smooth deployment of our applications (Web, Mobile, API, data pipeline, analysis packages, internal software)
- Creation and maintenance of high level architecture diagrams, collaboratively with tech leads
- Build tools to reduce occurrences of errors and improve customer experience
- Perform root cause analysis for production errors
- Investigate and resolve technical issues
- Develop scripts to automate CI/CD KPI visualisation
- Take ownership of production, staging and development environment tooling
- You will have experience as a DevOps Engineer or similar software engineering role
- You will have experience of infrastructure architecture design and implementation
- You will have experience as part of cross functional software engineering team
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
- Demonstrable knowledge of Terraform
- Good knowledge of Ruby, or Python
- Production knowledge of Kubernetes or Docker Swarm
- Production knowledge of MySQL, ElasticSearch
- Production knowledge of AWS or GCP
- Good knowledge of common web servers, networking, Linux (Ubuntu), CI servers,
- Working knowledge of database clusters and programmatic zero downtime upgrades
- BSc or MSc in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field
- Experience in applied machine learning, computer vision and image processing
- Software development experience with Python, Java, React
- Experience with data science/analysis packages and frameworks: Pandas, SciPy, Sklearn, Keras, TensorFlow.
- Experience in electronics/embedded systems for UAV’s
- The opportunity to work on an innovative product and shape the future of the agriculture industry
- Private Healthcare
- Government Pension scheme
- Flexible working
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra day off for your birthday
- Discretionary bonus
- Learning & development allowance