Lead Data Scientist
We are looking for a new member of the Hummingbird Research and Development team who will Lead our research into Yield Modelling and Yield Prediction.
As a Lead Data Scientist within the team at Hummingbird you will both own and work hands-on with high profile research and development projects - additionally you will continue the development around yield models. Ideally we’re looking for somebody with both a strong Data Science background and a proven track record of statistical and mathematical modelling. You will work closely with Data Scientists across the entire business and collaborate across multiple projects simultaneously.
The ability to work autonomously and find the balance between cutting edge research and product creation is key within this role. You will be jumping into an area where the foundations have already been developed by the team, and will be able to hit the ground running and work immediately on highly technical and advanced problems. As the first member of this team you will also have the headcount to grow the team and hire Data Scientists to report into you.
At Hummingbird we are the leading global remote sensing business for agriculture, using artificial intelligence and imagery analytics gathered from drones, planes and satellites technology, combined with weather and soil data and expert plant pathology to enable precision agriculture. We use the most advanced machine learning and computer vision techniques, delivering actionable insights on crop health directly to the field meaning farmers on the ground are able to manage their land in a more sustainable manner. We were recently awarded KPMGs Best British Tech Startup 2019 and Cognition X Best AI Product for Agriculture 2018.
Existing backers of the business include The European Space Agency, Sir James Dyson, Horizon Ventures, Downing Ventures, SALIC and Velcourt; Europe’s largest commercial farming operation. We also have tech partners which include Google UK and Cranfield University.
We operate internationally with offices in London, São Paulo, Sydney, Moscow and Lviv.
- Liaise with our Senior Management Team to shape our research and development portfolio, related to yield modelling
- Lead the research and development of agricultural fintech products, including but not limited to yield prediction models
- Build a fintech R&D team from scratch and manage the team
- Liaise effectively with the rest of the R&D team, including the two existing lead data scientists, to align R&D according to the broader company directions
- Liaise effectively with other parties in the company, especially the sales and the product teams
- Liaise effectively with R&D and utilise your knowledge of Computer Vision, Machine Learning techniques and UAV, aerial, satellite data/imagery to communicate effectively to existing and potential new clients
- Relate back in an easy to understand format the analysis algorithms as production-ready code using Python
- Be responsible for communicating with internal agriculture specialists, account managers and customers to help them understand product in development as well as collect feedback for developing new products
- Communicate effectively with the Software Delivery team the requirements and outputs of analytical processes
- Take part in Agile process consisting of daily stand-ups and fortnightly planning
- Providing feedback on improvements in the analysis processes
- The opportunity to travel globally to client site
- Relevant academic background in Maths, Stats, Bioinformatics or another highly numerate discipline
- +3 years of industry experience
- Prior experience of mentorship and working with people across technical disciplines
- Python coding knowledge at least at a basic level
- Strong Data Science/statistical analysis skills (predictive modelling)
- Commercial experience working with time-series/high-frequency data
- Must be highly organised and motivated
- Fluent in English, with another language desirable (especially Spanish)
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and in small teams
Nice to Have
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- Understanding of agritech and the latest trends within industry
- Understanding of farm management practices and restrictions
- Experience with signal processing in both image and non-image applications
- Prior work processing of high-resolution satellite data (imagery, hyperspectral data, SAR)
- Hands-on experience with GIS data
- Experience working with biological systems
- Private Healthcare
- Government Pension scheme
- Flexible working
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra day off for your birthday
- Discretionary bonus
- Learning & development allowance